Wednesday, May 28, 2008

I'm Pumping Gas!

by Bill O'Neill

I thought that there would be no better way to kick off "Bill on the Trail" than to share with you the inside scoop on what the campaign is doing this week. Tomorrow at 1 p.m. at a local gas station [map], we're standing up against Big Oil and Big Energy.

The price of gas when Steve LaTourette was elected to Congress was $1.13. And when he was last re-elected in 2006, it was $2.24.

As we now know all too well, gas prices have risen to over $4 a gallon. But while our wallets have taken a hit, my opponent's wallet has continued to get fatter. In the time he has been in Washington, Steve LaTourette has taken $275,720 from Big Oil and Big Energy, and in turn, he has been a vote they can count on to ensure that gas companies earn record profits – even when we’re paying record prices.

The people of Northeast Ohio deserve a congressman who stands up to these special interests – and stands up for you.

Tomorrow, the first 113 people will get the first $1.13 of their fill-up on me. And they’ll also get this souvenir check, from Big Oil to my opponent:

It’s hard to stand up to Big Oil and Big Energy when they’re helping fund your campaign. So let me be very clear: I have never taken a penny from Big Oil, and I never will.

And when you send me to Congress, I will never forget who I’m representing.

No comments: